Sunday, February 15, 2009

2nd Day in the North






I tried to post the historic park before the trip north, but I guess it published by when I composed it so this is out of synch.
Our second day in the northern provinces (Sunday) started in Chiang Rai where we spent Saturday night.   This morning we walked through their morning market where there was an incredible array of every kind of fresh food; vegetables, fruit, meat, baby turtles, eels, and fish (all alive).  What a sensory delight.  They even sell tiny birds in cages that people buy to set free for good luck and good health.  Truly a foreign experience that I could get used to.
After breakfast we traveled to Chiang Mai where we toured the King's Project for a Sufficiency Economy.  I'm going to have to do some research on this.  I don't know if this means self sufficiency or sustainablility or what.  I got the impression that it is a national program for research and teaching.  The focus is on forestry, agriculture, fisheries, and organic farming as well as a preserve of native animals and birds.  Very impressive.
Ratree spent a lot of time during the drive teaching me the Thai language.  It is frustratingly hard.  My mouth doesn't want to do what it's supposed to.
And since we spent a great deal of time on the road I have to mention the driving.  It's wild.  There doesn't appear to be any speed limits, so the only thing slowing you down is the treachorous  (sp?) turns in the mountains.  When you approach a town there will be a sign posted to reduce speed, but not by how much.  So we flew through the towns.  People will pass other cars wherever.  There are lines for passing and no passing, but it doesn't seem to mean much.  I think that people passing just assume that others will move over if they have to.  It seems to work.  And all the time the motor bikes travel merrily along the shoulder of the highway.  Sometimes I can't watch.  I'm glad I don't have to drive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment